Sunday, August 26, 2007

british literature

I am so excited to begin the new year with my new British Literature class. It's been a while since I have taught an entire year of Brit Lit, but I am looking forward to the fresh ideas and perspectives that we will all bring to our readings. Many of my students are not new to me; in fact, I taught them in their Introduction to Genres class last year. I hope to continue to help them grow and learn through my particular interest in the subject, and also through new uses of technology.
We'll start the year with an examination of our experiences with technology in the first paper of the year, the technology autobiography. Inspired by H. G. Wells' The Time Machine, we'll look at how technology has shaped our lives, who we are and what we expect out of life. How has it shaped our society and our future? A recent article in Science predicts that science fiction itself is outdated and can't possibly keep up with the enhancements in technology occuring daily. Technology doesn't just change our daily procedures or how we do our jobs, but it is also changing our literature. How will this rapid rate of change affect our futures and our human nature? What do you think? Leave me a comment.

No comments: